What is Cosmetic Surgery?
1. Cosmetic surgery overview
In general, plastic surgery is a surgical specialty involving the restoration, reconstruction, or alteration of human body. More specifically, there are 2 branches of plastic surgery that need clearly separating: reconstructive surgery and cosmetic surgery.
Plastic surgery is defined as a surgical specialty dedicated to the reconstruction of facial and body defects due to birth disorders, trauma, burns, and disease. Moreover, plastic surgery is intended to correct dysfunctional areas of the body and is reconstructive in nature.
Additionally, surgeries related to skin tumors (congenital or acquired tumors), blood tumors, head, and limbs are regarded as reconstructive surgeries. Plastic surgeries include hand surgery, congenital defect repair, burn repair construction, surgeries for injured parts, constructive surgeries and cosmetic surgeries.
Furthermore, cosmetic surgery is the most popular among them. It involves surgeries, procedures, and treatments that focus on enhancing patient’s appearance. They can be applied for almost all parts of our body (eyes, nose, lips, breast, backside, etc.). Moreover, cosmetic surgery can correct age-related changes like face-lift, fat absorption, eyelid surgery or other procedures. These types of surgeries are usually performed according to customer’s request.
To sum up, cosmetic surgery can be simply defined as a branch of surgical specialty which is based on plastic surgery. Nowadays, cosmetic surgeries for improving appearance are more popular.
2. Main types of cosmetic surgery
Normally, main types of cosmetic surgery focus on diseases, malformation, damage, and parts that need to be corrected and improved, including:
- Scars (white scar, keloid scars, etc.) that affect appearance; damage from burns and accidents
- Facial, hand and skin injuries or nerve injuries, defects, facial and limb disorders due to accidents and injuries
- Skin and soft tissues disorders such as blood tumors, vascular malformation, benign and malignant tumors on skin and body, pigmented birthmarks
- Congenital facial malformation (ptosis, small eyeball, cleft jaw, craniofacial malformation, etc.); limb malformation (ectrodactyly); sex organs malformation
- Other surgeries to improve appearance (nose lift, breast lift, chin fill…)
3. Benefits and risks from cosmetic surgery
Thanks to technological development, cosmetic surgery has been largely developing and perfecting. Success and safety rate of cosmetic surgery is high and reliable. However, there still have potential risk factors that customers need to know before making their decision:
♦ Benefits from cosmetic surgery:
- Self-confidence: Nobody is perfect. When it comes to appearance, if someone has a visible malformation, it can make them feel less confident about themselves. Cosmetic surgeries are the ideal methods for them.
- Health: By removing malformation, cosmetic surgery helps patient have better health and prevent other diseases. For instance, nasal reconstructive surgery can prevent sinus infection and remove breast tumors that are the risk of getting breast cancer for men.
- Opportunities: it’s clearly when someone is confident in themselves, they have more chances to be successful in their life.
♦ Risk factors in cosmetic surgery:
- Complications: In spite of having great development, there are possible complications from cosmetic surgery. If any complication happens, it not only affects your appearance but also your health. Sometimes, they can become serious and fatal.
- Expectations: The result from cosmetic surgery might not reach patient’s expectation that could lead to mental frustration. It’s necessary to carefully discuss with your surgeons about the possible results.
- High costs: Cosmetic surgery expenses are usually extremely expensive not only due to its procedures but also recovery process. After the surgery, patient needs to relax and avoid overworking as well as pressure. Moreover, medical insurance doesn’t cover most of cosmetic surgeries, so that your budget needs to be well-prepared before taking a cosmetic surgery.
Common cosmetic surgeries
Common cosmetic surgeries nowadays include:
♦ Body and sex organs:
- Skin regeneration
- Inverted nipple surgery
- Breast lift
- Reconstruction of the breast
- Breast reduction
- Male breast reduction
- Arm lift
- Thigh lift
- Tummy tuck
- Scar removal
♦ Facial surgeries:
- Brow lift
- Eyebrow lift
- Hairline lowering surgery
- Ear surgery
Cosmetic surgery procedure
Although there are several kinds of cosmetic surgeries, they all follow these main steps:
Step 1: Personalized consultation: Patient’s condition and their malformation are varied. Discussing directly with your doctors helps them know your case better. Besides, patient must be fully informed about their surgery procedures and possible complications by their surgeons.
Step 2: General check-up: In both major and minor surgeries, surgeons will ask their patient to have a general check-up, blood test, and cell test before undertaking a cosmetic surgery.
Step 3: Consideration for techniques and materials: Based on bone scan techniques, surgeons can estimate surgery result and the whole procedure needed. Patients then can understand and discuss further with doctors about their expectations.
Step 4: Preparation: Before the procedure, topical antiseptic will be applied to patient and surgeons. The patient will also be anesthetized. The entire process must follow safety standards.
Step 5: Undertaking surgery: Time for a surgery procedure depends on patient’s specific health condition, type of surgery and its complexity.
Step 6: Follow-up process: after the surgery, a patient needs relaxing and caring. During the recovery, the patient has to rest quietly, take medicine as required, avoid activities and follow a special diet. Frequently check-ups are necessary to control side effects and complications.
In general, cosmetic surgery needs serious concerns because it not only affects directly your appearance but might also cause complicated complications. Therefore, patients who want to have cosmetic surgery should consider carefully and choose clinics and hospitals that are reliable and specialized in this field.
Please choose the best hospitals and clinics that provide cosmetic surgery in Asia to get the most suitable healthcare for your condition.